Updated: Sep 26, 2018
Over the last eight months, there's something that I've eaten consistently almost every single day: OATMEAL.
Before going vegan, whenever I thought of oatmeal I thought of a bland, dry meal that people ate just because they thought it was
healthy, but boy was I wrong.
Towards the end of last year, I started watching a few key vegan Youtubers such as NaturallyStefanie and Maddy Lymburner, to start getting ideas on what to eat. I started to see that a lot of people ate oatmeal in the morning but their beautiful bowls looked way better than any oatmeal I'd ever seen before.
I experimented with a few ingredients and came up with my own easy recipe and I've been hooked ever since!
Turns out that when it comes to oatmeal, once you get the base ingredients right, the possible combination of flavours and toppings are endless! Here's my recipe for my super quick and easy oatmeal recipe that you can make in the microwave to eat right away or bring with you when you're on-the-go during the work and school week!
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 Tbsp of chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of plant milk (almond, soy, oat, cashew- your choice)
1) Add oats and chia seeds into a microwave safe bowl.
2) Pour in the plant milk (I used soy) and vanilla extract and mix until everything is well combined.
3) * Put your bowl in the microwave for 1 minute, then remove quickly to stir and return to the microwave for another 30 seconds. Feel free to warm it up for 30 seconds more or less than recommended, it depends on what kind of consistency you like your oatmeal!
4) Your oatmeal should now be warm and have a slightly thickened consistency that's still quite easy to stir!
*If you're taking this to work, then you can do steps 3 + 4 when you get there. This will help ensure that your oatmeal is as fresh as possible when it comes time for breakfast
You'll now have the base of your oatmeal, now the best part is the toppings. This is the absolute key to great oatmeal is adding flavours and foods that you really enjoy.