Updated: Apr 18, 2019
Easter is just around the corner and if you're worried about what to make for dessert I've got you covered. This tangy lemon poppyseed loaf is easy to make and will dazzle your vegan and non-vegan family and friends alike!
Lemon Poppyseed Loaf with Lemon Glaze
Time: 50 min
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, soft
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Poppy seeds
· 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2/3 cups icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Tbsp lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk together chia seeds, soy milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Set aside to thicken.
3. Cream together coconut oil and sugar.
4. Add the thickened chia seed mixture to the creamed coconut oil mixture.
5. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix for 30 seconds.
7. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with vegan margarine. Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes, or until cooked fully through.
8. Set aside to cool. In meantime, make the lemon glaze.
9. Whisk together icing sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until sugar has completely dissolved.
10. Once the loaf has cooled, using the edges of the parchment paper, pop the cooled cake out of your loaf tin. Peel the paper away from the edges of the cake and cover with glaze. Using the parchment paper, pop the glazed cake back into the tin to allow the glaze to soak in. Slice and serve when ready.